As you may have heard, IABC has been working on relocating its headquarters office. Its now official: IABCs headquarters relocated to Suite 1210, 155 Montgomery Street in San Francisco on 29 January 2016.
The work on finding an alternative location commenced more than a year ago with the creation of a HQ Relocation Task Force. The sourcing and selection of our new office has been a collaborative effort between staff and the International Executive Board.
This relocation has been critical to IABC for a few reasons:
- It saves us money. We will save US$350,000 in just the first year by moving from the current location. There are many reasons for this, including the fact that our current office is simply too large for our current needs.
- The way we work has changed. Our strategy has been to adopt a more virtual working environment. This has been in progress for some time, with projects such as upgrades to our IT platform enabling us to move to a modern, cloud-based operation and away from housing physical servers in our offices. It has also enabled us to recruit the right talent no matter where they live. Many of our staff are now located outside San Francisco.
Watch the move in progress below!
This is an exciting and important step in IABCs ongoing strategic aim of financial recovery and sustainability.
The history of the new building
The new building at 155 Montgomery Street is a historic 15-story office building with 55,785 square feet of space.
Originally called the Alexander Building, the structure was the brain child of architect Lewis Parsons Hobart. Hobart, who was born in St. Louis, Missouri, in 1873, moved to the Bay Area after graduating from preparatory schools on the East Coast. When he arrived in the Bay Area, he enrolled in the University of California, Berkeley, where he was influenced by architect Bernard Maybeck, who also influenced architect Julia Morgan (The Welcome Reception for the 2015 World Conference was held in a ballroom named for her). Hobart then left the Bay Area to study architecture at the American Academy in Rome, which was followed by three years of architectural training at the École des Beaux-Arts in Paris from 1901 to 1903.
Hobart returned to the Bay Area in 1906, just after the devastating earthquake and fire that year, and was commissioned to participate in the rebuilding of San Francisco after the disaster. That same year, he received his state architectural license, opened his own office, and was commissioned to work on a number of now-historic San Francisco buildings such as: The Postal Telegraph Building (22 Battery), the California Academy of Sciences buildings (Golden Gate Park), the Commercial Building (825-33 Market), Grace Episcopal Cathedral (Nob Hill), and many others, including our new office space, which was built in 1921.