Krysta Smith, Jon Popowich, Halkier and Dutton Design / Covenant Health / Sherwood Park, Canada
Covenant Health was formed as a provincial organization in October 2008 when 16 Catholic health facilities joined together under one common mission. Today, Covenant Health is Canada’s largest Catholic health care organization, with 18 facilities in 12 communities across the province of Alberta. Working as a multisite organization within an integrated provincial health care system, Covenant Health is challenged to differentiate itself as a distinct health care provider. As a faith-based, mission-driven organization, this distinction constitutes the organization’s competitive advantage and is necessary for staff recruitment and retention, government relations, reputation management, fund development, and stakeholder engagement in Covenant Health’s communities of service.
Environmental Opportunities and Challenges
- Late each year, Covenant Health hosts an annual community meeting (ACM). It’s an ideal opportunity to report to stakeholders on the previous year’s achievements and areas fundamental to good accountability, including financial and performance activity and achievements related to strategic directions.
- Covenant Health is expanding into new communities of service, with the construction of three continuing care centres in the cities of Red Deer and Calgary (opening in 2014).
- Internal stakeholders require printed materials—for new employee orientation, events and conferences, submitting grant proposals, and meetings with prospective external stakeholders.
- A branding strategy is currently underway, with a plan to build web capacity to enhance understanding of the Covenant Health brand across the province.
- In a July 2012 reputation survey, only 37.6 percent of team members thought their family and friends understood what Covenant Health stands for.
- Internally, formal communication tools can build awareness and understanding of how each employee’s work contributes to the strategic framework,
This content is available to IABC members only. To continue reading, log in below.
Forgot your password? Reset it here.
To view subscriber-only content, log in with your subscriber ID and password below.