An Update on the Stronger Together Organization Design Task Force
CHICAGO, April 14, 2023 — This is a message from the International Association of Business Communicators (IABC) Chair, Alain Legault.
We recently held a series of briefing sessions with IABC Leaders around the world to talk about the proposed new operating model for IABC, by the Stronger Together Organization Design Task Force. Thank you for joining the conversation.
Throughout February and March, the Taskforce and members of the International Executive Board met with Region Boards, Chapter Leaders, Chairs and Members of IABC’s International Committees, our Fellows, and Past Chairs of the International Executive Board.
We received valuable input from our leaders on how we can work together to evolve the governance and structure of IABC to survive and thrive for future generations.
We want to share with you some of the themes that emerged in our meetings that will inform the next steps.
What we heard:
- Clarity: A desire for more clarity about the model. What will members be asked to vote on at the Annual General Meeting in June? If the detailed design and implementation of the new model will be the responsibility of a second Taskforce, can we get more information on what that work will entail including how we will be engaged in the design and change program?
- Connectivity & consistency: Broad support for sunsetting the Council of Regions and incorporating regional representation in the composition of the International Executive Board and the International Finance Committee. Local connections are important, especially in large regions, how will the new model bring greater consistency to the member experience across the globe?
- The financial model: A broad range of responses to strengthening the geographic oversight of finances. Acknowledging that any solution may need to be tailored for different parts of the world. Benefits may differ between smaller chapters and regions compared to larger chapters and regions. We need more insight into how it would work in practice, including the impact on volunteer leaders (Treasurers & Finance Directors), how it will improve efficiency and effectiveness, and what it means in terms of autonomy and current financial arrangements.
- Terminology: The interchange and use of the words geography and regions were confusing and used inconsistently.
- Membership: Paint me a picture of how the new model will improve our ability to deliver value to members and, in turn, improve recruitment and retention of members. How do members at large fit into the new model?
The Taskforce is meeting to distill the feedback and to make any revisions to the model based on what we heard. This will then be presented to the International Executive Board for endorsement in April.
We know that our leaders want access to further information about the work of the Taskforce and we will be sharing materials shortly.
We will also be providing further information to our members along with an opportunity to join information sessions.
We appreciate your active participation in these conversations. It is intense but important work.
We will be providing further information in the coming weeks.
Alain Legault, SCMP
Chair International Executive Board, IABC
Danielle Bond, SCMP
Chair Stronger Together Organizational Design Taskforce, IABC